Who does not love fruits? They are tasty, they are nutritious and they are delicious. But not all the time we can digest all types of fruit. Despite the fact that almost all the fruits are beneficiary and good for our health, all of us do not have the same digestive capacity or same rate of food metabolism. There is a saying about apple- “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away”. Fruits are always good for us and are without any doubt far better than the sugar or sugary food we take.
Fructose is a natural sugar which is found in fruits and vegetables. It is also called ‘levulose’ or fruit sugar. When vegetables and fruits are consumed fructose is absorbed slowly into the body because of the dietary fibers. Excessive consumption of fructose is precarious for our health. Again, some people are unable to absorb high amounts of fructose. People with irritable bowel syndrome and gastrointestinal problems find high fructose fruits problematic for them. Besides difficulty in absorbing fructose causes gas, abdominal cramping, bloating and diarrhea. So, here are a list of fruits that are low in fructose composition and very good for health.
1. Citrus fruits- Citrus fruits like lime, lemon, etc. are very good low fructose fruits. Limes are a good source of vitamin C and are used as flavors of beverages. It is usually less sour than lemons. Lemon is used in drinks and food and almost every part of this fruit is put to some culinary and non-culinary use.
2. Apricot- It has only 0.94% fructose sugar in it which makes it one of the most low fructose fruits. Besides food purposes, it is used for medicinal purposes also. Thus, it should be one of our first choice of fruit in triglycerides-lowering diet, provided you have not been diagnosed with fructose intolerance.
3. Cantaloupe- It has 1.87% fructose sugar in it. It is one of the varieties of melon. It is actually an orange fleshed melon.
4. Peach- It has only 1.63% fructose, which makes it one fruits with low fructose content. Peach and nectarines are fruits of the same species, though commercially regarded as different. Peach is a highly nutritious fruit having a beautiful aroma.
5. Avocado- It is both a nutritious fruit and also a good household fruit. It contains a very low content of fructose, which makes it a very preferred fruit among many.
6. Kiwifruit- It has got 4.35% fructose in it. Although there are other fruits which havea an even lower fructose percentage, but kiwifruit is also one of the low fructose fruits and is very much nutritious. It is also called ‘Chinese gooseberry’. It has a soft texture and a unique sweet flavor.
7. Passion Fruit- It can be eaten as a fruit or juice. It is also mixed with other fruits for its aroma. It has about 3.1 grams of fructose in it which is a bit more than the other fruits mentioned above. But people with moderate metabolic activity can find this fruit very nutritious and useful for many purposes.
8. Banana- Banana is within the similar fructose amount range as kiwifruit. It has 4.85% fructose on average. It is very much well known to everybody and is very useful for health and beauty purposes. It is a staple starch in many countries. It has a very high nutritional value because of the presence of a variety of vitamins and iron, carbohydrate and other minerals. It is taken as a fruit and also used in cooking. Its fiber is used in textile and paper industries.
9. Blueberry- Most of the berries are low fructose fruits. Blueberry has about 3.6gm fructose on average. Blueberries are used in a variety of forms of consumer goods like, jams and jellies, pies, muffins, etc. It also contains a lot of micronutrients which makes it good for our fitness.
10. Strawberry- In 100gm strawberry there can be found on average 2.5 gm fructose sugar. It has a beautiful scent and it is liked because of its bright color. One serving of strawberry contains approximately 33 kilo calories. It is mainly used for its aroma.
Fruits contain vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and fibers necessary for our body. Fruits contribute in maintaining a net alkaline-yielding diet. These low fructose fruits are easily absorbable and digestible for everybody and hence should not be restricted. Specially avocados, lemons, limes and apricot are very low in sugar and hence do not bear any of such risk. Some of the other fruits that can be considered low fructose fruits are orange, plums, watermelon, banana, raspberries and cantaloupe. We should remember that it is nearly impossible to avoid Sugar and Fructose in our diet. The trick is to recognize where it is, what it is and minimize it over the long term.